Friday, December 1, 2006


Autumn Leaves

2003
Lawrence Tan

My heart died a long time ago
Or I thought so
Until you came along
And brought me this love song
A faint and familiar feeling
That sent my heart reeling
That’s right, a feeling that I vaguely remember
Through time I thought it has gone forever

Knowing too soon, it will be over
Without regret and I’d do it all over
Just like a yesterday’s dream
Laying besides a beautiful stream
“What do you want?” you asked
The answer is such an easy task
My trembling lips are unstoppable
But my mind is clear, this face unforgettable

I want to take you to the falls
To listen to the birds’ morning calls
Down to the market place
To your favorite maze
To get some fruits and some tea
And wherever, to a movies
I just want to be with you
One day or one eternity

“Do you miss me?” you asked
The answer is, such an easy task
Wouldn’t it be so obvious and overwhelming?
My love for you is overflowing
I wanted so much to ask you the same, clever
But unsure and afraid of the answer
“You owe me”, I uttered,
“I’ll pay you back” you countered
“No, you stole my heart and my mind”
“And no, you can’t in this lifetime!”

She is small and she is quick,
Be careful, she can get you lovesick
This life or next life, I don’t mind
As long as I will return you the favor, in kind

After you leave
The sun will still be rising
But I see no light

After you leave
The evening breeze still caressing
But I am numb, feeling nothing

After you leave
The sun will still be setting
But for me, it has never risen in the morning

After you leave
My sad love songs
Become my only sing-along

After you leave
My tears just flow better
To the tip of my tongue, they taste bitter

After you leave
My heart gets an additional load
It now carries a shadow
The image of you
In whatever I do

Please don’t look back
Just towards your future
I say I’ll be all right
I say I am a big guy
‘Cause I can handle it
Even with my broken spirit

Like an autumn leave, fallen
My heart is truly golden
To the left and to the right
It has surrendered and gave up the fight

Then helplessly carried away
By the stream in its gentle but determined way
But oh! Please, handle me with care
This precarious heart of mine, you could tear

Every night as I lay down to rest
Please just lay still on my chest
To my distant lover, I whisper
For this is almost an affair to remember…

No comments: